Doodles in the margin from an artist living and working in the Scottish Borders.

Monday 22 November 2010

Brian #1: Origins.


I first met Brian after a parents' evening over ten years ago. A colleague told us the next day that as he drove home exhausted he actually fell asleep on the journey and woke up in the verge. Terrifyingly, he could have been seriously injured or indeed killed, but more importantly it gave me the chance to draw something funny based on what could have been a hideous accident. Sometimes I'm a glass-half-full person.



All well and good, but my idea, as far as it went, was that the bloke was Brian Badger, and the striped accomplice was a comic restatement of the eponymous protagonist. The more I thought about it, though, the more I realised I had conjured something into being. I looked into his stripy, arsy, well-intentioned, grumpy, sweary, badgery soul and I saw something I recognised.


A kindred spirit. An alter ego.

I am that badger.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails